Monday, June 1, 2015

Numb Fingers

One of the symptoms of pregnancy that I have, and it seems to surprise people, is carpal tunnel syndrome. It's a normal symptom, although uncommon enough that people raise an eyebrow when I mention it. I've never met anyone else who's experienced pregnancy carpal tunnel other than my OBGYN. I haven't had any feeling in my fingertips for months, but it doesn't stop me from typing, tying my shoes, or doing anything else. Sometimes I need Chris to open a jar or something for me, but for the most part I can do everything myself.

When it really effects me is at night, or whenever I lie down. The numbness turns to pain and in the beginning it was excruciating enough that it would jolt me out of a deep sleep. My doctor recommended getting wrist braces for when I sleep and they've made a world of difference. They are stiff and thick. Not something I'd choose to sleep in if I didn't have to, but right now they are among my favorite possessions.

As far as symptoms go, I've been very lucky. No high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, morning sickness, food cravings or aversions. So I'll take the numb fingers and stiff wrists, but I'll be happy to have full feeling back in my hands again one day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment